NEW LiveCode Summer School Schedule
The live course kicks off on the 27th May 2014 and runs over 10 weeks.
Summer School 2 is aimed at you guys who already have the basics, but want deeper info on specific areas of LiveCode. Best practice, optimizing code, getting the best out of tricky areas and getting on top of new features.
Every Wednesday during the 10 week Summer School course we will run a live Q&A Webinar session where you can ask questions directly to the LiveCode Training & Development Team.
We recommend that you follow the set schedule, however don't worry if you can't make every lesson, lessons will be stored in your account meaning you can go back to them at anytime.
Lesson 1 - Coding 101 - Structuring your LiveCode project.
Coding standards (A suggested set of LiveCode coding standards that will increase the consistency of your work making it more suitable for team work and improve the quality of your code).
- Variable naming
- Function naming
- Appropriate choice of handler / function / getProp / setProp
Abstracting your project correctly (A guide to the ways you can abstract and structure your LiveCode projects. Well abstracted projects are easier to maintain and develop).
- Message path (Dividing functionality into appropriate parts of the message path)
- Stack Script
- Back Scripts
- Behaviour Scripts
- Project independent stacks (Sharing libraries between projects)
- Writing good API’s that handle errors well (public facing code)
- Spitting project into multiple stacks
- Defined lines of responsibility between sections of code
Managing Assets (A look at the ways to include, manage and reference external images, audio files and videos).
Lesson 2 - Feature 101 - Writing apps for any device / screen
Get the most out of the resolution independence feature of LiveCode and tips of performing manual geometry.
- App design guidelines (Basic design guidelines to help create an app suitable for all screen sizes)
- Working with images (Preparing images so that all screen densities are supported)
- Using fullscreen modes
- Scripting Geometry (Laying out your app in script to fit a screen)
- Using behaviours to write custom objects
- Resizing and laying out objects to fit screen dimensions
- Choosing alternative layouts depending on device (phone / tablet / computer)
- Performance considerations (Coding for lower powered devices)
Lesson 3 - Coding 101 - Test driven development and debugging
Testing (An introduction to test driven development).
- Writing a simple test system
- Writing tests for your code
Debugging (A look at all the tools available to help debug your applications across all platforms).
Lesson 4 - Coding 101 - Writing and optimising LiveCode script
An introduction to code optimisations in LiveCode. The team will introduce a number of areas where users can optimise their code for performance providing an insight into the workings of the engine and why certain approaches are faster.
- Optimising repeat loops
- Optimising card transitions
- Optimising graphics drawing performance
- Optimising graphic effects performance
- Optimising general app performance
- Optimising animations
- Optimising scrolling panes
- Optimising data output
- Optimising data storage
- Identifying bottlenecks
Lesson 5 - Feature 101 - Arrays
- Using Nested Arrays
- Getting started with nested arrays
- Understanding why arrays are efficient
- Choosing the right data structure
- Creating, accessing and iterating over array content
- Using split and combine
- Searching arrays
- Sorting arrays
- Renaming or deleting keys
- Encoding arrays to store between sessions
- Writing functions to process complex data sets
- Examples of efficient text analysis
- Examples of matrix operations
- Interchanging arrays with custom property sets
- Working with object properties and custom properties
Lesson 6 - Feature 101 - DataGrid
An in depth look at how to get the most out of the data grid.
- Introduction to the DataGrid
- Preparing data
- Customising appearance
- Customising functionality
- Complex row behaviours
- Fast scrolling data grids on desktop and mobile
Lesson 7 - Feature 101 - Unicode
Everything you need to know to support international characters with ease.
- Introduction to all the unicode features
- Using new chunk objects effectively (Code unit / Code point / Char (Grapheme) / trueWord / Sentence / Paragraph)
- Working with right to left languages
- Unicode Input / output
- I/O for unicode data (Reading in and writing out unicode data)
- Working with unicode and databases
- Preparing output for other applications (Normalisation / Encoding)
- Optimising unicode apps (Unicode is by default slower to work with than native text so optimisation is important)
- Localising your app to multiple languages
- Creating language translations
- Applying language translations to you app
- UI consideration (Text varies in size and length depending on the language)
- Standalone building considerations
Lesson 8 - Platform 101 - LiveCode server
Use the language you already know on the server to create web services and web sites.
- Introduction to LiveCode server
- Basic Scripting
- Writing a web services
- Processing web service data in an app
- Writing a simple webpage with customer login
- Installation on your own server
Lesson 9 - Feature 101 - Webkit browser
- Introduction to the new WebKit browser
- Creating rich layouts with the browser object
Lesson 10 - Coding 101 - Version control and team development
Best practice on structuring and managing your individual (or team) LiveCode project using lcVCS and GitHub.
- Creating a GitHub project and setting up Git on your system
- Setting up lcVCS
- Pushing your files to GitHub
- Introduction to forking/branching/merging
- Practical tips for daily working with lcVCS + GitHub
Book your place today and join us in May for in-depth Learning.